Metro recharge of a passenger’s smart card through online medium was started in India by the Delhi Metro in 2013 and by Bombay Metro a year later. While passengers can recharge their smart card from the website of the metro service provider, now they can recharge even from third party reseller websites and Apps too. Resellers like Phonepe, MobikwikandPaytm are quite popular for providing services related to recharging mobile phones, Direct-to-home services and other utility bills. The latest addition to the list of online payments that can be done via a reseller site is metro recharge.
The advantage of having metro recharge done using the reseller is that one can use digital payment instruments– a very common alternate method of payment that has touched millions of lives in India already. Where using the credit card, debit card or bank transfer is the prerogative of the educated and well-to-do class, this digital wallet is a common’s man’s virtual means of shopping online and even making payments at physical stores and shops as most of these commercial outlets have now started accepting payments through this virtual wallet.
Steps of metro recharge using reseller site
- Open the reseller website or App from your smart phone, laptop or computer.
- Click on the metro rechargeicon.
- The first step is to select the location or the metro/service provider whose smart card you wish to recharge. There are presently three options to choose from – Delhi Metro, Mumbai Metro and Hyderabad Metro.
- Fill up the smart card number. The smart card number is mentioned on the backside of your card. In case of Mumbai Metro, you need to first select the ticket type. The ticket type option present has only one option to choose from – smart card recharge.
- Then fill up the amount for which you wish to recharge the card for. If you are not sure of the balance left in your card or need to know the total balance after the completion of the recharge process, you can check the same by clicking on the ‘get card balance’.
- Once the amount has been added, you will be automatically directed to the next page which is the payment page. Here you need to select the mode of payment – credit card, debit card, Net banking or your online payment instrument.
- Whichever mode is selected, the payment gateway will ask for further information like card number, expiry date, CVV and name of card-holder for payment by cards; bank customer id and password in case of Net banking and in case of the virtual wallet you need to logon in using your email ID or mobile number and select pay and send option.
In minutes you will receive a confirmation from the reseller on the successful recharge. Two hours after the recharge has been done online, visit an AVM or ‘Add value machine’ or ticket vending machine to complete the top-up onto your smart card. These machines are installed at all metro stations.