Private equity is all about buying and selling companies and it is a really tough industry to break into. There are only a handful of opportunities available for people who don’t have relevant experience in private equity. But what does it take to have a successful career in private equity? How the professionals got their first break into this private equity industry? Here’s a selection of top tips on how to work your way up even if you have a diverse career path.
- The first step starts with doing the hard stuff, basically eating the frog! Establishing yourself initially can be especially tough when your dream is to work for private equity. But to get noticed faster, you need to take on the messy duties which are the part of private equity training, as it prepares you intensively for the future role. Obviously, being an associate, you won’t be getting the credit but getting your hands dirty definitely has its advantage. At such a young age, it will help you to become one of the most professional and authoritative figures who really understand his or her business.
- The next step should be making the portfolio CEOs and CFOs happy. Then there comes the Private Equity boss or manager whom you’re reporting to. In this way, you’ll be learning more about how the world of private equity works from your colleagues and management leaders. One important advice would be finding a good mentor who can really teach you the important nuances of private equity training. This creates an image of a dedicated individual which will help you a lot in creating many win-win situations for your career in private equity.
- In this tough private equity industry, you have to play nice consistently in order to make the most of the opportunities. In your initial years, you don’t want to get in such a bad position already. You’ll be meeting a lot of influential people outside of your firm and you have to constantly put yourself in the best light to negotiate the hardest deals. Being able to present yourself as one of the humble, and grateful individuals have its perks. So don’t forget to nurture your personality and approach to career.
- In the private equity industry, there is always going to be a lot of bad time, while you’re spending your initial years. You always have to remind yourself that you’re there to get some really good experience. After gaining experience with the extensive private equity training, you can move to somewhere else at the right time.
- There can be so many differentiating factors for having a successful career in private equity. Study the successful private equity personas to know what makes them stand out? You need a thorough understanding of the human mindset too because you’ll be dealing with negotiations which is an important part of private equity. As an associate, you must show hunger for success constantly! You have to show them that you’re an absolute winner and you really care about achieving.