Ketosis has truly become a household name regarding weight loss mostly and for the right reasons, but hardly enough people know what it means or what it does for the body. You may be reading this article because you want to know more about ketosis or how to get into ketosis. So, “how do you get into ketosis?” and “how long to get into ketosis?” may be the questions on your mind. You will know all of that shortly but to really get the full effect of the process, it is necessary to have an understanding of ketosis, what it’s about and what it does.
Meaning of ketosis
Ketosis, scientifically, is a normal metabolic process. It is a process that involves the replacement of carbohydrate consumption by the body with fat. This basically means that when the body does not have enough glucose or is blind to it (happens mostly in diabetic patients when glucose is accumulated) or when people starve themselves, ketosis is the next course of actions of the body. The body directly breaks down fat storages into energy and then by products called ketones are formed. The ketosis we will be getting into is healthy and tasking but effective and quick.
How long to get into ketosis
Generally, metabolism and chemical reaction can occur almost immediately or in 2 to 3 days but it takes at least a week or two to really notice significant changes. The reason is explained in 3 steps listed below:
- When your carbohydrate intake drops to about 30g per day, your body will start using the stored blood, muscles and any other source of glucose and that takes about 2 days.
- Glycogen is first produced more due to a process (gluconeogenesis) acting on your body’s stored protein in the next 2 days, then, ketones become your body’s main source of energy exempting a few parts of the body.
- Lastly, your brain starts using the ketones as a fuel source also so as to spare energy that will be used for the conversion of protein process after about 11-14 days.
How long it will take to get into ketosis and also observe very visible results can approximately take between 20-14 days.
How do you get into ketosis: fast and safe ways to get into ketosis
If you are wondering how to get into ketosis, its best you get into it slowly, do not rush.
- The first step is to fast for a day (you can take water) followed by a ketogenic diet plan.
- You really can’t know exactly how much carbohydrate, fat and protein you take in so its best you monitor it using an app. Carbohydrate should be kept under about 29g per day.
- Increase your protein intake through strong protein sources.
- Follow through and pay close attention to your diet and exercise plans.
- You might experience a little bit of headache during the early stages but it shows you’re doing it right.