Range Extenders are the gadgets that we use to extend our router’s signal range and Linksys is the one of the prime manufacturers of these esteemed gadgets. No doubt they are doing their job exceptionally well. But whenever someone thinks of buying a new extender, the first thing that appears on the user’s mind is how to execute the Linksys Extender Setup. And, need not to mention, for the most part it is not as like you think of it. Hence, to avoid such misunderstanding, or get answer to the queries, this post is made for.
Useful Tips Prior to initiate the setup
let us start with the prerequisites for the Linksys WiFi Range Extender setup. Prerequisites are the things that you need to initiate the set up process. Here is what you will need:
- Ethernet cables in case your extender has an Ethernet port.
- A computer or laptop.
- Correctly configured Router.
- Stable and reliable Internet connection.
- User manual for your Extender.
After attaining all these prerequisites, consider doing these steps:
- First of all, go through the user manual for the extender to get familiar with your device.
- Next thing is, since the Linksys Range Extender is a simple plug and play device, it is recommended to reset your extender prior to the setup. If you don’t know how to reset linksys range extender, here is the detailed guideline:
“Press and hold the reset button for at least a time period of 15 seconds. Then execute a power cycle on the extender to reboot it.”
- For the time of setup, place the extender near to the router. Thereafter you may place it anywhere in the house as per the router’s range.
Simple and Explained Setup Steps
these are the steps for a quick and easy Linksys Range Extender Setup manually:
- Turn the Extender On after you plug it to a power outlet.
- Wait for a couple of minutes, and then turn on your computer and tap on the wireless icon at the right bottom of the task bar.
- From the list of available networks, click on the Linksys extender network to connect with it.
- Thereafter, open any web browser and you will be automatically re-directed to the extender setup page.
- However, if somehow this doesn’t happen then type extender.linksys.com in the address bar of your browser and hit enter. You may also use 192.168.1.1, in either case.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to initiate the setup procedure. These instructions include set your language preference, accepting the terms and conditions, assigning a network name and password to the Extender.
- Once you save all these settings, you need to reboot your Linksys extender. Thereafter, you may place your extender anywhere you wish to.Setting up the Extender via the Ethernet Cable
To set up the extender using the Ethernet cable, follow these steps:
- Pair the Linksys extender to your computer or laptop using the Ethernet cable.
- Thereafter, connect the power supply to the extender. Check the LED lights, wait till they stop flickering and becomes stable.
- Now open any of the available web browsers such as Google chrome, Safari or Firefox and navigate to the extender.linksys.com page – 192.168.1.1.
- When prompted, type “admin” in the boxes next to the username and password.
- Go to the wireless settings to change the wireless range button to manual.
- Now type in the SSID and the WPA key for your main router.
- Once all done, restart both – the range extender and the router. Your extender is all set up and is ready to boost the signal strength of your router.